Sunday, October 18, 2015

Day 18 Volunteers are Important!



Volunteers are important!  So many groups are made up entirely of volunteers. We have groups at our school like the Booster Club for sports and the Elementary PTO and Middle/High School PTA. In the community, we have American Spouses' Club and the International Spouses' Club. There are also Lodges, church groups and Boy and Girl Scouts. All of these groups are run by volunteers.

*****************************************************

Why am I talking about this you might ask? Well, back in 2004, I started volunteering with PTA at our school in the South of France. That was the start of something big. It was bigger than me and it lit a fire that started as a glimmer and eventually was a roaring bonfire. Before this time, I worked full-time as a legal secretary and didn't have much free time on my hands.

I never knew what hit me! I enjoyed being involved and making a difference and helping make things happen at the school. Little did I know where it would all lead. I made friends, really great people who came from so many different places -- far from my hometown. I played flute with my friend, Nicole, on accordion at our Spring Fair - it was so much fun and I can see her smile and hear her telling me how I "played well from the paper" (she is German and meant sightreading). This was just the start.

We moved back North to the Netherlands and darned if they didn't need help with the Elementary PTA. I started out as Secretary and almost immediately slid into the President's chair due to a glitch (thanks Carmen!). Three years later and I finally took off that hat. Meanwhile, I was on the board of PWOC (Protestant Women of the Chapel) which is a fantastic women's ministry which I talked about before. I made so many good friends there and across Europe just by volunteering a bit of my time. Actually, it was a lot of time but it was a labor of love so it didn't seem like so much. Our son was in Cub Scouts and they needed a little help so I did what I could from time to time including being secretary on our council. Taking minutes isn't a job, right?  The end result of this period of time was getting a plaque for being Family Member of the Year which really meant I put in a lot of hours for our community, for our kids, for our ladies and for myself. It was a good investment. All of these things were important and had a lot of value. Our volunteer hours have value. They are priceless!

The programs that are run by volunteers are really important! They fill in the holes that are left from cuts in our military programs overseas. They also provide rich opportunities for our children and family members to have while living far from home. Some programs also have charitable missions which give those who participate a chance to help others. These opportunities are limited when we live in a small military community in a foreign country. Often it is hard to find people to volunteer because so many times people volunteer in more than one group. This is common in a small community and contributes to the problem of feeling burnt out from the work. It happens...


But why am I talking about volunteering?  

Well, the reason I'm able to blog these 31 days is because I am now free of all of those volunteer jobs. I am finally not on any boards, not teaching Sunday School or leading any evening programs. I'm just being a wife and mom, driving 500 miles a week to school/work and trying to find my way in the world of blogging. It's a season of rest from outside involvement. I have a feeling I'm not done volunteering, yet. But for now, I'm taking a break and taking time to smell the roses and appreciate some time to ponder the good things in life!



No comments:

Post a Comment