Thursday, October 15, 2015

Day 14 and it's all about SOUP!!

It's Fall. When the weather turns chilly and the leaves are turning colors and falling to the ground, it's time to make warm and comforting food for our families.



What are your favorites??

Our family loves big pots of soup. A friend commented on my Facebook page that I should write a soup cookbook for all of the times that I post that I'm making soup for dinner! Up til then I didn't even realize that I make soup at least once a week!



One favorite of ours is Italian sausage soup. I just made it the other day. We came up with a recipe for it from a soup we used to order at a restaurant we loved. I'm sure it isn't exactly like that soup but it sure sticks to your ribs and warms you up!  We use tomato sauce and diced and crushed tomatoes for the base and then add cooked lentils, rice and a combination of mild and hot Italian sausage. A big pot is needed since we don't cook small amounts in our family. Italian seasoning, garlic powder and liberal amounts of coarse ground pepper and salt complete the recipe. Umm umm good! My golfers came home from a very cold day of golfing and really enjoyed having big bowls of it for dinner.

Another soup we make is Pennsylvania Dutch rivvel soup. Rivvels are made up of flour and egg which are mixed roughly together and then broken up or rubbed into small bits to be added to boiling chicken broth. We add chicken and potatoes to this soup to make it even more hearty. It was made by farm women who were pinching pennies and didn't want to make a big meal. It still filled in all of those empty spots in the hungry bellies of their families. It's almost like boiled chicken pot pie but not exactly. I know -- chicken pot pies are baked -- but the  Pennsylvania Dutch came up with a different way of making chicken pot pie and that was by rolling out the dough and cutting it into squares and dropping it into boiling broth. You can make baked chicken pot pie which is exactly what you think of when you think of pot pies but the boiled way is really delicious too!



Here's a nice soup from Belgium. It's made with endive which is something I think of when I think of Belgium. Here's the link to the recipe http://www.food.com/recipe/cream-of-belgian-endive-soup-138735.  This looks like  a pretty easy recipe with not too many ingredients. You can make it lighter by using skim milk or make it decadent by adding cream! I'm going to add this to my list of soups for this winter for sure! 

Bon Appetit!



No comments:

Post a Comment