Saturday, October 3, 2015

Day 3: Liege Waffles

Everyone thinks of waffles when they think of Belgium.

In Belgium, the waffles in Liege are famous because they have big bits of pearl sugar (sucre) hidden within them and are called Gaufre de Liege. When you warm them up a little, they are the tastiest waffles ever! We found them when we first lived in Henri-Chapelle, Belgium in 2001 and they have been one of our regular purchases when visiting the grocery store ever since!

But can you make them at home?

I've never had to attempt this because, of course, I live in Europe and have lived most of the time in areas where we could find them at the store. But, once we are finished with this assignment, we will return for good to the States and far from our beloved waffles!  So I started researching recipes and found a traditional recipe shared by Adam Wayda on his blog about Artisanal Waffles. 

Here's the link to his page:  https://liegewaffle.wordpress.com/liege-waffle-recipe-liege-gaufre-recette/

The recipe (recette) is very detailed and requires the use of a 35 lb. waffle iron - which is something I definitely do not have in my kitchen!  The little 220 volt (for European electric current) one I have cost maybe $10 and is round, smaller than a dinner plate and is non-stick which is not at all like the ones used to make the real deal!

I think you will appreciate the amount of research and experimenting he must have done to come up with the recipe that he shared on his page and respect the wonderful goodness of the waffles that he finally was able to achieve. For those of you serious cooks out there, you may even try to follow the recipe and make some at home. I, myself, will continue to celebrate the fact that I can just run down the street and buy a pack of these at my local Intermarche Super Store!



Here's a picture of one I just bought today in one of my favorite Polish pottery bowls (I have a thing for hearts...)! It will be very good with a nice cup of tea or coffee later on this evening! Bon appetit!



No comments:

Post a Comment