Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Two weeks make a difference!

Two weeks make a difference!

Today I am sitting in the clubhouse of Rheinblick Golf Course in Wiesbaden, Germany.

Two weeks ago, I was on my way to the hospital in Wurselen, Germany to find out why I was having vertigo.

Two weeks can seem long or short - it just depends on what's happening in your life! I had just started working on the Clumsy Bloggers' course and was really looking forward to it... then my ear went closed and I felt like I was in a fog! I had trouble concentrating and putting two thoughts together.

Here's the story:

Tuesday, Sept. 8:  While starting the long drive home from the Netherlands to Belgium, I began to feel a little strange. The first thing I noticed was the right side of the car moving when I blinked. I tried to convince myself that it obviously did this all the time... ummm no... When I closed my eyes, things starting spinning so I concentrated hard on driving the car. I didn't want my son to know that I wasn't feeling quite right so he would be worried. The crazy things that moms do to protect their kids...  When we finally got home, I drove into the garage, stopped the car and got out -- and immediately fell against the side of the car. The vertigo had taken over my legs too! God and my guardian angels made it possible for me to drive us safely home and into our home. I staggered back to bed and tried to relax and the room wouldn't stop spinning. It even made me nauseous and I threw up (I almost never throw up... I'd like to say never but this just happened so...). Then everything calmed down and the evening passed quietly. The next morning, I seemed fine and we drove to school/work like usual. So I guessed it was just a freaky thing that happened and it was over.

Then, on Friday, the 11th of September, I walked over to our main office to help celebrate our friend and co-worker's birthday. The vertigo started again. In fact, this time, it seemed even worse and I was starting to feel hot and strange. Of course, I scared everyone by this, they wanted me to go to the emergency room right away so luckily I reached my husband and told him to come get me.  He was surprised by this since we thought I was fine... well, I guess not! A visit to the ER close by resulted in no testing and no answers other than the advice to keep my appointment with the ENT doc in Geilenkirchen, Germany on Monday.

Monday, Sept. 14: A beautiful day dawned on Monday and we drove to Geilenkirchen, Germay to the ENT office. He listened to my symptoms and then they ran multiple tests to include the test for vertigo which was very dramatic - shooting warm and cold water into my ears until the vertigo started! I hated it! It was the worst sensation. He decided my problem wasn't caused by my ears and referred me to a neurologist.

tuesday, sept. 15: We met with the neurologist whose English wasn't strong and she decided to send me for an MRI. I had to wait another week until I could go for the MRI also in Germany in Heinsberg.

Tuesday, sept. 22: MRI Day! I found out the last time I had an MRI that I am without a doubt CLAUSTROPHOBIC - at least when put in a closely fitting tube! So I was dreading this test. This time they had an eye mask so I didn't have to worry about opening my eyes and panicking. The x-ray doc reviewed the results and said he didn't see anything scary on it. So we went to lunch and had a great Italian meal at Casa restaurant in Heinsberg! Around 5:30 pm, my cell phone rang and the neurologist said i needed to go to the hospital because they think I have meningitis! That sure got our attention! But I didn't have many of the symptoms of meningitis so it was puzzling to say the least!

Wednesday, Sept. 23: Visited the Neurologist's office for the MRI report and they had the ER on the phone to schedule my "appointment" there. The ER doc said - we think you are leaking brain fluid please come to the hospital... That sure was scary to hear over the phone! But first, we had to drive UP to Heinsberg for the MRI CD and then drive down to Wurselen to the hospital near Aachen, Germany. It was a stressful drive. Then we arrive at the hospital and they tell us we need to pay 3,000 euros before I could be admitted -- because we didn't have a German insurance card!!! They thought we were tourists and didn't understand we live in Europe! I still thought I was losing brain fluid and was panicking and said "Fine! We'll leave and I'll die! Thank you for your help!" I wasn't feeling very diplomatic at that point. So we went back to the ER and told them what happened - she said "wait" and spoke with someone and then they had us sign a paper that we would pay the bill and it was ok to admit me. This was the first time we realized I was being admitted and would be staying overnight! So there I was in a German hospital - a few people spoke English and, thankfully, God had my back and I was put in a room with a young German woman - who spoke English!!! She had been there for a couple of weeks and could help me understand what to expect. Wednesday passed and no testing.

Thurs. Sept. 24: After lunch, they finally came in to me and did a spinal tap which is like having an epidural during childbirth except you don't get the good drugs - they just do the tap and they're done. The young doctor was very gentle and did a great job -- though he said he thought about me the night before because I shared my sad story of the epidural I had while in labor with our son at Landstuhl Army Hospital. He didn't want to hurt me! It was uncomfortable but not unbearable.

Friday, Sept. 25: I expected them to come and take me for another MRI but no one came in the morning so I finally went out and found the doctor in the hallway. He said he had the results from the spinal tap but needed to speak with the chief of the department about the next step.  At about 4 pm, he came in to my room and said "We're sending you home!" They had concluded my problem was caused by my inner ear but had no further answers. End of long strange saga!

two weeks later...


Wednesday, Oct. 7: Now, two weeks later, I sit typing on my laptop in the clubhouse and all is well. I worry that the problem will come back but, for the meantime, I am cheering on my son as he plays the first day of the high school European championships. God is good. He gives us challenges and sometimes we are frightened by those challenges. If we are faithful, we will give these concerns to Him and let him show us the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment